Stormwater Educational Materials:
PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources: http://dcnr.state.pa.us/brc/grants/greening/greenresources/index.htm
Stormwater Outreach Materials and Reference Documents published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: https://www.epa.gov/greeningepa/epa-facility-stormwater-management
Nonpoint Source Pointers (Factsheets): http://water.epa.gov/polwaste/nps/outreach/facts_index.cfm
To find out what watershed you live in, and how to help protect it, go to the Philadelphia Water Department, Office of Watersheds’ Watershed Information Center: http://www.phillywatersheds.org/your_watershed or check out U.S. EPA’s Surf Your Watershed: https://cfpub.epa.gov/surf/locate/index.cfm.
Water Blues, Green Solutions:
Check out this interactive documentary project designed to promote awareness of the role green infrastructure can play in creating a sustainable water future, produced by Penn State Public Media.
Technical online assistance to municipalities by the Center for Watershed Protection: http://www.cwp.org/stormwater-management/
The Partnership for the Delaware Estuary has published several brochures that you may download at http://delawareestuary.org/node/101. You may also order hard copies.
Several municipalities in Montgomery County have websites to educate residents on stormwater management; here are a few:
- East Norriton Twp – http://www.eastnorritontwp.org/home/departments/public-works/storm-water-permit-program.aspx
- Franconia Twp – http://www.franconiatownship.org/details/stormwater-management.aspx
- Upper Merion Twp – http://www.umtownship.org/index.aspx?NID=773
- North Wales Borough – www.northwalesborough.org
- Lower Pottsgrove Twp – http://www.lowerpottsgrove.org/programs/stormwater.htm
- Lower Gwynedd Twp – http://www.lowergwynedd.org/general-information/stormwater-management.aspx
A Homeowners Guide to Stormwater Management published by the Philadelphia Water Department is an excellent resource that gives detailed instructions how to install BMPs on any property in Southeastern PA. Read them all and decide which one will work best for you!
- Homeowner’s Guide to Stormwater Management from Philly Water
- Naturalizing Your Yard…While Saving Money! from PA Environmental Council
- A Guide to Water Efficient Landscaping published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency: landscaping.pdf
- The Gotta Go Green Now site provides useful tips on green living: http://sites.google.com/site/gottagogreennow/
- The Conservation District has additional information on rain barrels and rain gardens.
Technical information on Stormwater BMPs:
PA DEP Stormwater BMP Manual: http://www.elibrary.dep.state.pa.us/dsweb/View/Collection-8305
Federal Highway Administration, Stormwater Best Management Practices in an Ultra-Urban Setting: Selection and Monitoring: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/ultraurb/index.htm.
Additional Stormwater related links:
International Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMP) Database: http://www.bmpdatabase.org/
Villanova BMP Stormwater Park: http://www3.villanova.edu/VUSP/bmp.html
Dauphin County Conservation District’s walking tour of Stormwater BMPs: http://www.dauphincd.org/main/BMP%20Tour%20page.htm
Water Environment Research Foundation: www.werf.org
Delaware River Basin Commission – www.state.nj.us/drbc
Center for Watershed Protection – www.cwp.org
Contact information for other organizations can be found on the Helpful Links page.